Subscribe Us

Header Ads

Greg Slaughter vows to Northport: ‘I still have my best basketball ahead of me’

Greg Slaughter admitted he’s saddened with the fact that his time with Ginebra has ended, but the 7-foot slotman said that he will always cherish all the great memories he had with the PBA’s most popular franchise.

The 32-year-old on Friday was traded to NorthPort in exchange for counterpart Christian Standhardinger in a blockbuster one-for-one swap, marking the end of his six-year stay with the Gin Kings that was filled with success.

“It has been a tremendous six years with Barangay Ginebra,” Slaughter wrote on his Instagram account moments after the deal was announced by the league.

“Although I am saddened to know that my journey with them has officially come to an end, from the first pick in the draft to all-star and multiple championships, I will always look back fondly at the time I spent there.”

The Cebuano cager was the Barangay’s first overall pick in 2013, and he immediately showed that he can be one of its cornerstones when he bagged home the coveted Rookie of the Year award at season’s end.

He already cracked the Mythical Second Team just in his rookie year, and then made it to the Mythical First Team the next season together with now-six-time MVP June Mar Fajardo, Paul Lee, Jayson Castro, and Arwind Santos.

Slaughter won a total of four championships with Ginebra, including their conquest of the 2017 Governors’ Cup in what was also his best conference in the pros so far as he was bestowed with BPC honors.

The former Gilas Pilipinas pioneer also had five All-Star appearances during his time with the franchise. And with all that, Slaughter has nothing but immense gratitude to everyone he had worked with in the Barangay.

“I want to thank boss RSA [Ramon S. Ang], boss Alfrancis [Chua], my teammates, my coaches, and all the fans who have been supporting the team all these years,” the Ateneo de Manila product wrote.

Ginebra head coach Tim Cone, on the other hand, had issued a statement earlier and thanked Slaughter for all his contributions.

“I believe Greg will go to Northport and put up much bigger numbers than he had at Ginebra and elevate that team.

“We certainly wish Greg all the best and thank him for the championships he brought to Ginebra,” he said.

Now, Slaughter said that he’s excited to write the new chapter of his career with the Batang Pier, assuring as well that he still has so much more to offer.

“I am truly excited for this new adventure and for the next chapter in my story to begin,” wrote Slaughter, who skipped the Philippine Cup last season as he took a break from basketball following the expiration of his old contract.

“I still have my best basketball ahead of me. I have so much left to give the game and just as blessed as ever to play the game I love in front of all the fans who have been with me through it all, no matter what jersey I wear.

“Sa lahat ng patuloy at walang sawang sumusoporta sa akin, taos puso akong nagpapasalamat. Pinapangako ko sa inyo na hindi ko kayo bibiguin,” he closed.

Post a Comment

0 Comments