Subscribe Us

Header Ads

Drex Zamboanga trusts the process in risky move to lightweight

Drex “T-Rex” Zamboanga doesn’t expect an easy return to the ONE Circle, especially with a massive adjustment to boot.

Zamboanga will compete in the lightweight division when he takes on Rahul “The Kerala Krusher” Raju in the lead card of ONE: Full Circle on Friday at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

While moving to a different weight class isn’t new, Zamboanga’s case is unique because he will bypass two divisions. Before his upcoming match, the 28-year-old Bangkok-based Filipino defeated flyweight Detchadin “Detchpool” Sornsirisuphatin via second-round submission.

“My conditioning coach gave me that idea to try it out at lightweight because I felt like being at flyweight is unhealthy for me. At the same time, it’s risky. I’m a big man. I’m 5’11 at flyweight. I can’t maximize my strength in matches,” the Marrok Force representative shared.

“Most of my fights came at 61 kg before. It has always been doable, but my conditioning coach suggested that I move to a higher weight class.”

While several rewards came with the move, “T-Rex” expects some turbulence along the way. After all, putting on more than ten kilograms is no easy feat.

“Actually [the adjustment] is the most challenging part for me. This is the first time I’ll be stepping into this weight class. I don’t have the experience yet in facing a legit lightweight in an official match, so that’s one thing I have to look out for.” 

Aside from his inexperience, he’s also taking on a competitor who has faced some top contenders at lightweight.

The Indian has already faced Garry “Lion Killer” Tonon, former ONE Featherweight World Champion Honorio “The Rock” Banario, and Amir Khan, among others. It makes him a formidable foe in Zamboanga’s initial bout at lightweight.

“When I searched for his fights on YouTube, he really has a ton of fights. The number of matches I had is nothing compared to his. I think that’s going to be our gap – the experience,” the MMA fighter with a 9-5 career record revealed.

“He already has a lot of fights. At the same time, I’m also new in lightweight. So yeah, we really don’t know what will happen.” 

Still, he will trust the process and vows to push himself harder in preparation for his transition.

“In this fight, I have also increased my strength and conditioning. I focused on my strength and conditioning program in this fight so I won’t feel uncomfortable in this new division,” Zamboanga mentioned.

“Now’s the perfect time to test my skills in the lightweight division. But looking at my camp, things are going well.” 

Catch ONE: FULL CIRCLE on One Sports at 8:30 p.m. Philippine Standard Time (PHT) on Friday.  Meanwhile, One Sports+ will cut into the main card at 9:00 PM PHT.

Read More From ONE Championship:     

Post a Comment

0 Comments